Friday 9 March 2012

                                           


Imagine

Imagine sang John Lennon
Imagine, I thought
Just imagine if my Edward Hopper painting was real
Do you know Edward Hopper?
I'm sure you do even if you think you don't.
American artist - sombre, lonely works with strong colours
And more in them than at first meets the eye
Jack Vettriano would give his eye teeth for Hopper's gift.

But anyway, back to the point.
The point being Portland Head by Edward Hopper
And the fact that it's now on my wall
And it's signed ... well sort of ...
"Edward Hopper" in the right-hand corner.

It shows a lighthouse
Right next to that is a New England homestead
with its chestnut-coloured roof
Golden sun-weathered grass all around
Sky, sea, earth's curve.

Who lives there? Who lived there?
I've been to Portland.  It's in Maine.
We saw the lighthouse, the very spot.
And now it's here in the living room.
Perhaps I'm drawn into this painting because of family
They're in New England - Boston, Martha's Vineyard.
I think of Aquinnah on the Vineyard and its pinkish lighthouse
and its tufty grass.

Perhaps that's why my family all live there
Maybe drawn to that same place
A place, away, away .....
Maybe physically, maybe just in their thinking

I think of our much-loved Anglesey as I look at it.
Penmon Point, Puffin Island, Holyhead lighthouse
The Hopper on the wall continually draws me in -
Captivated by those watercolours.

Our print is big, very big, maybe 3.1/2ft by 2.1/2ft
It looks wonderful, I got it for 15 quid from the charity shop
It looks real.  Imagine if it was .... but what the heck
I don't believe I would love it more than I do.

                                            

1 comment:

  1. I want to have a cup of tea in the house and sit and dip my toes in the sea.

    ReplyDelete