Saturday 20 August 2011

Sometimes you just gotta chuck it!

So I had my Yard Sale this morning in an effort to reduce the mountains of stuff one accumulates (or more correctly that two accumulate).   I was brutal, well brutal for me that is and the weather was reasonable as I sat out on the front of my house surrounded by paintings, bric-a-brac, chest of drawers, spice racks and rattan screen etc.etc. and did my knitting and hoped that now and again one of the speeding drivers would consider stopping and looking at my treasures ....  not too many takers but enough to say goodbye to the main body of things and Steve packed the others into his car and took them to the charity shop.   Oh well it's a start and I've got lots more to go at and I still have my sentimental suitcase when feeling blue ...  



The Sentimental Suitcase

Memories moulder away
Within your comfortable decrepitude
Rather as the garden compost
Where all good waste
Morphs its journey towards ripe
Earth-enriching goodness.
So the shabby suitcase,
Battered repository with broken lock, no key
Holds piquant memories.
A toddlers abstract artwork,
Attributed to “Kate aged 3, 1971”
And “Mummy” with purple hair
And wild yellow eyes,
By “Sian 4.1/2, 1972”
Both heavy with dry, cracked paint.

Aunts and uncles at christenings
Proud grandmas and granddads
New mums in mini-skirts
And dads with kipper-ties, smile out
With hippy hair and gaucho moustaches
From tiny Kodak-ed photos
Falling from their torn and gaudy
Boots the Chemists envelopes.
Hundreds of slippy-dark negatives
So much a thing of the past.
School reports and the still-silken locks
Of a child’s hair.

Yellowing newspaper cuttings
Relating births and deaths,
Crumbling wedding telegrams
Old love letters and a child’s
Precious poetry
All encapsulated within
The fragile grip.
And year on year it languishes,
Life’s luggage
Like some happy but deserted lover

No comments:

Post a Comment