Monday 30 January 2012

Exercise and Me ....

Well it's rather like this - I was never great at any sport and never really an enthusiast.   I love to watch tennis and always get carried along with the Olympic thing but apart from that - No.   I have attempted to get into "going to the gym" but always came away feeling it wasn't "really me" and that I'd much prefer digging a hole in the garden, eating chocolate, reading a book or even watching paint dry .... for which you do not need spray on tan or fancy gym gear.   Then there were aerobic classes followed by Step Reebok, callanetics, pilates, yoga, zumba and probably others I've long since removed from my memory, and I was always the one secretly looking at my watch to see when this particular torture would be over with...... please let it end.   The only thing I've actually enjoyed were my daughter Sian's amazing yoga classes in the States and they are great especially the music she plays during them!

Anyway I need to confess that I now have my own enforced unbidden exercise routine ..... as in yesterday ... it was Sunday and I had been to church, cooked dinner and washed up.   Steve went to do the man jobs - cleaning the car and putting out the bins (as it happens we work well as a team with traditional gender roles so please don't scream at me!) and so with a cup of coffee I would relax and read my book.
Ah where is said book - upstairs beside my bed and so running up (exercise one) I get book and being a woman decide to tidy a few things away and also pop into Steve's office for something and down I come ... get myself comfy, have a slurp of coffee ... now where's the darn book?   Must have left it upstairs - retrace steps (forgetting some actions) and come back down to lounge again to hunt on the sofa amongst the cushions - nothing - aagh!!  Back up again (still running) check everywhere and then remember I went into his office - of course there it is on the desk .....
Now do you understand I do this unbidden style of exercising several times a day and it's driving me craaaazy!   Having to return to the place you first visited in order to remember what it was you were going to do next .... oh well perhaps it's God's way of making sure I do engage the old body now and again even if it won't be in any standard routine previously mentioned!     Right now where was I, what page was it, ah yes here we go - happiness is curling up (eventually) with a good book even if the coffee is cold ....

No comments:

Post a Comment